Pages

Monday, April 23, 2007

The Image of Pity 2

Dear Readers, it would appear that I may have recently and inadvertentedly misled you. Apologies.

In The Image of Pity I wrote that The Image of Pity probably originated in the East, probably before the twelfth century and that the devotion was based on an icon (now lost) which was in Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in Rome, one of the seven pilgrimage churches in Rome.

I was delighted therefore to receive a comment from Don Marco, O.Cist. that "The icon at Santa Croce in Rome was not lost. I live at Santa Croce and just today showed the icon to a visitor."

I hope Don Marco does an article to publicise this. Most of the textbooks declare that the original icon was lost. If it is not lost and is in Santa Croce, this fact deserves wider circulation.

You may also be interested to read Don Marco`s other posts on the relics at Santa Croce including one of St Thomas under Plagas, sicut Thomas, non intueor

No comments:

Post a Comment